truthsaves.org – Another Website Built With WordPress
In my endless quest for unique websites built with WordPress, I stumbled upon truthsaves.org. What an amazing WordPress website! It has over 500 pages, is fast, slick-looking and ranks well in search engines. For those of you who say that WordPress is for blogs only, I say think again. This site is no blog. Truthsaves is a full-fledged website. And a pretty big one at that.
Remember, I don’t promote websites; I just describe them. I’m interested in WordPress. I want to know what WordPress is capable of. Seeing truthsaves.org gives me confidence that WordPress is quite capable of handling a large website.
The owner of truthsaves (Alan) has worked hard on making sure it loads fast. On tools.pingdom.com it scores a 92/100 for its performance grade. On gtmetrix.com it scores an A (93%) for its page speed grade. On webpagetest.org, it scores a 94/100 for its PageSpeed score. This site is fast. Really fast. I suppose it’s not overly impressive considering there are few images on the site, but the site does not use a CDN and has quite a large database so I think the speed scores are surprisingly good.
I asked Alan what plugins he uses. He wrote back with the following list and gave a little reasoning behind the use of each one:
- Akismet (spam filtering)
- Google Analytics by Yoast (tracking visitors)
- Greg’s Comment Length Limiter (people were writing books on his articles)
- JetPack (mostly for the automatic social media sharing features as well as email subscriptions)
- Limit Login Attempts (to reduce brute force attacks)
- nrelate Flyout (suggestions for related content)
- Optimize Database After Deleting Revisions (to keep the database clean)
- Post Editor Buttons Fork (to automate the use of certain bits of code)
- Redirection (to redirect some inbound links that are incorrect)
- Relevanssi (for more effective site search)
- Remove Query Strings From Static Resources (to speed things up for visitors)
- Rename wp-login.php (for a different login url – security purposes)
- Slider Captcha (to reduce comment spam)
- UpdraftPlus (automated site backups)
- W3 Total Cache (an essential plugin for site speed; this is the one plugin the owner said he had to have)
- WordPress SEO (for better search engine placement (another of the owner’s favorites)
- WP-PageNavi (for better navigation on the blog portion of the site)
- WP Responsive Menu (to fix his menu on mobile phones, which displayed as a simple dropdown not showing any of the nested elements)
- WP Smush.it (to optimize images for fast loading times)
I asked him, “Isn’t that a lot of plugins?”
Yes. But each one does a task for me that is essential. Some of the site speed plugins I could delete and it probably wouldn’t make much difference but the rest are each very much needed. More important than any though is W3 Total Cache. Without it, loading times suffer considerably. Another very necessary element, while not a plugin, is APC (Alternative PHP Cache). APC, properly configured on the server, can increase a website’s speed dramatically.
Alan used the twenty twelve theme, which typically looks like this. The site is dramatically modified. The corners are rounded, the menu is modified, and the footer is modified (to be three columns instead of two). These are just a few of the many modifications that have been made to the theme.
Take a few minutes to visit truthsaves.org and see if you’re as impressed as I am. Good work Alan. Thank you very much for allowing me to feature your site in my Websites Built With WordPress series.
Want Your WordPress Website Featured?
If you want a free, quality link to your WordPress website, I’m happy to feature your site. I will not feature pornographic or hate-oriented websites. My favorite thing to do is feature WordPress websites made by beginners who have watched my tutorials. However, that is not a requirement.
Free Support for Your WordPress Blog or Website
As always, I’m offering free support for your WordPress website. I don’t know how to do everything. I don’t do a lot with e-commerce for example. Top priority goes to those who have purchased web hosting through Inmotion, the web host that I promote and use. This site is proudly hosted by Inmotion Hosting!
If you purchase your web hosting through Inmotion via one of my links, I will install and set up your WordPress website for you.
- free installation of WordPress
- free installation of the theme of your choice
- free installation and setup of JetPack
- free installation and setup of W3 Total Cache
- free installation and setup of UpdraftPlus Backup and Restoration
- free contact form setup
- free “about us” page setup (will set up the page, not write it for you!)